Story of 'Gol Gumbad' Design Carpet
'Gol Gumbad' (also called Gol Gumbaz) is a Hindi term, where 'Gol' means Round and 'Gumbad' means Dome. The Taj Mahal has a flawless interior of the dome, a unique and beautiful pattern within. One can not describe the beauty of it in words. The 'Gol Gumbad' Design Carpet is inspired by the same.
The center medallion of the carpet is inspired by the central ceiling work. And the outer design of 'the diamond cut niches' is also inspired by the magnificent ceiling design.
‘Gol Gumbadh’ is surrounded by rare folk tales and they are unique in their way. These tales have been passed from designer to designer, merchant to merchant, and trader to trader.
The story goes like this:
A long time ago, there was an artisan who was determined to recreate the aesthetic design of the interior of the dome in the Taj Mahal. He was so fascinated by the design that he tried to capture it by his eyes. And he did!
He used to visit the Taj Mahal and record the pattern of the interior design of the dome, simply with his eyes (there were no digital cameras and smartphones easily available for capturing the same).
The problem he faced was, he forgot the design numerous times while drawing it. It took him several attempts to complete the design on paper and hence multiple visits to the Taj Mahal for this but certain objective.
Thereafter, he started weaving a carpet following the same design he made the hard way. To get it done, it took another one and a half years. This is how the 'Gol Gumbad' design came into form.
"The Taj Mahal is a widely recognized Mughal Art and the ceiling depicts incredible workmanship and that same workmanship is reflected in the carpet."
Comprising of beautiful color combinations and interesting Mughal art design patterns, this captivating piece of silk carpet has a personalized touch of rich Indian history and the Taj Mahal. Extended durability, lavish looks, and true luxury on its own are other few exquisite attributes of this carpet. To own the experience of this rich tradition, shop silk rugs online at reasonable prices on our online store 'The Rugs Cafe'.
- Material: Silk (Masterpiece)
- Size: 5 x 7 Feet
- Color: Red
- Construction: Hand-knotted
- Origin: India (from Rural Area)
- Collection: Master Rugs
- Best for: Indoor/Outdoor use
- Pile Height: ~8 mm
- Suitable for: All room types
- Vacuum whenever needed: Keeps dirt away from getting trapped into fibers.
- Rotate occasionally: Keeps the tone uniform.
- Clean immediately: If spills occur, clean immediately but don't rub the strain.
- Use protectors with furniture: For heavy furniture(s), put protectors under the legs helps to avoid flattening and piling.
- Do not pull yarn: If the thread comes out (that is rare), trim it with a scissor.
- Professional cleaning recommended after specific intervals.
Shipping and Returns
- Free Shipping worldwide. (*Local taxes may apply depending on the laws of respective countries. Have a query? Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ready to dispatch in 1-3 days. Delivery may take 6-10 days.
- *15 days hassle-free returns (not applicable for the custom rug)
- Actual colors may vary slightly due to certain factors (lighting, camera settings, angle, etc.)
- No two products will be identical, leads to the uniqueness of handmade items.