Flooring is the foundation of every house. We walk, sit, even sleep on the floor. Our feet are practically always touching the floor. Thus, when you start looking for décor, the first thing that comes in mind is the floor. Laying a beautiful rug, carpet or a dhurrie, can make the area very homely and cozy.
Why to have a floor covering?
To add up a snuggly feel to your place, whatever your feet touch matters! Every step of yours should give you comfort after a rough day at work, or on a casual hangout with friends or on a Sunday binge watch session.
Since the floor takes up most of the space inside the house, it has a significant impact on the aesthetic of your home. A floor can make your space look cooler, warmer, larger, smaller, more intimate, cozier and luxurious. Floor covering, material made from textiles or rubber, is laid upon the level base surface of a room to provide comfort, durability, safety, and decoration.
Few of the reasons to invest in a floor covering would be:
- Floor coverings improve the indoor climate – Carpet or Rug, improves the indoor climate as it retains airborne dust particles. The carpet traps the particles and keeps them trapped in the fibers until the next time of vacuum cleaning.
- Offer good insulation – Carpets and rugs also offer good insulation, allowing energy savings in cold winters.
- Provides comfort and are versatile - Carpet is a textile flooring, provide you with a feeling of comfort and luxury. Carpet is the most versatile flooring; the possibilities are endless! Carpet is available in many different colors, patterns, and designs. You opt to combine colors, patterns and designs to create a unique floor.
Difference between a Rug and Carpet
Before deciding which one to go for, that is, Rugs or Carpets, you should be able to distinguish between them. This will help you to choose better and narrow down your options.
Here, I want to explain you what is the main difference between a Rug and a Carpet.
An Area Rug is simply a large area covering, usually made of woven materials that does not cover the whole floor. On the other hand, a Carpet can be described as a wall to wall floor covering made of thick woven fabric that extends over the full floor space and is secured to the floor with glue or tacking tapes.
Usually, choosing between Rugs and Carpets can be tough. But the main pro of having an Area rug rather than a Carpet is that it does not take up the whole space. Also, it can be wrapped up easily whenever you want to change the décor. While, once a Carpet is installed it cannot be removed easily but only by a professional.
Area Rugs over Carpets?
We at The Rugs Cafe have a wide variety of Area Rugs. To support our suggestion of buying a Rug rather than a Carpet, we have the following reasons:
- Easy cleaning and maintenance – Rugs are easy to wash and dry. Thus, the maintenance cost of a Rug is much less than a Carpet. If your home is full of muddy paws and messy eaters, an Area Rug is clearly the one to go for!
- Installation - The installation element is a key difference between rug and carpet. Carpet often requires professional removal and installation, a service which comes at a considerable price. Replacing a rug is a much cheaper process as it won’t be fixed to the floor, simply unravel it in your chosen location over an anti-slip mat and you’re ready to go. If you’re wanting to decorate your room, get inspired by browsing our online rug range today!
- Helps define a space - The way you want your room to look is a huge part of the final design, and this should be a deciding factor for your choice of flooring. A wooden floor looks great with a feature rug as it can accentuate and add a focal point to the space. Whether you choose a tribal, geometric or traditional design, a rug can provide an extra bold element which might be overwhelming as part of a carpet or wall pattern.
- Traps dust particles – A rug is an excellent choice for those who have dust allergies because rugs retain dust particles.
In a way, floor rugs allow you to experience the best of both worlds - beautiful hardwood flooring, coupled with the cozy feel of soft fibers beneath your feet. A Rug can change the look of your place just like that. You can play around with various sizes, patterns and textures which can enhance the different areas in your home.
Choosing an Area Rug for your Home
Selecting a perfect rug for your beautiful home is not that easy. In fact, it is one of the most cumbersome tasks other than furniture and paint selection. I am going to make this task easy for you right here!
So before going to the different options right away, I would like you to narrow down your options on the basis of your needs.
Walking barefoot on the floor gives positive vibes and comfort. So, the material beneath your feet should be relaxing for the same reasons. The preferable materials you must go with are:
- Silk: The beauty of a ‘silk’ rug is unmatched. Other than its bright and beautiful patterns, its touch to bare skin is very calming. Silk threads have high tensile strength and can take a lot of stress before wearing off. Silk itself is a very shiny material, thus, gives the rugs its sheen, shine, and luster. They give a very royal look to the place they are laid in.
- Wool: The most reliable material one should go for would be ‘wool’ rugs. Wool is very resilient and its texture allows it to quickly recover from crushing or indenting caused by footsteps or furniture. Wool also provides warmth in a mildly cold or crisp weather and keeps the area cozy, always.
Size or shape
Area Rugs come in various shapes & sizes according to your decorating preferences. The available options at The Rugs Café are:
- Extra-large: They include the measurements of 7 x 10, 8 x 10, 9 x 12 feet and up. These rugs cover almost the entire area but are not wall-to-wall. They are a great option for a living room or the bedroom.
- Large: These have the measurement of 6 x 9 feet and look great in a living room, bedroom, lobby and even a patio.
- Medium: The measurements are 5 x 8 feet and up to 6 x 9 feet. They give a great look in any area. The great thing about them is that they are neither big nor small in size. This is the reason that they fit anywhere flawlessly.
- Small: The rugs include sizes under 5 x 8 feet. They are the most effortless rugs one should have. They can be moved from one place to another very easily. Cleaning them is also very easy because of the size. They also look great on the wall.
- Runner: A perfect match for those long halls where this type of warmth is much needed. The sizes include 2 x 4, 2.5 x 6, 2.5 x 10 feet, and so on. These area rugs also looks great on the sides of a patio or like a footrest beside your bed.
- Round: Round Rugs gives a beautiful look to the whole place. It holds the furniture together and buffs up the area. The sizes start from 3 x 3 feet and go up to 8 x 8 feet.
Design or pattern
One can sometimes let go the size of a rug and even the material, but the design and patterns are one of the first factors that makes the rug appealing. Here are some designs from our collection:
- Modern Rugs Collection: These contemporary rugs give a subtle look to the area they are laid in. They have a wide variety of options in shapes, sizes, and patterns.
- Dhurrie Rugs: Dhurries are rugs that are woven from cotton or wool and sometimes a combination of both. As with all area rugs, dhurries have their pros like they’re reversible, have many patterns, woven tightly, and comparatively low-priced.
- Traditional Rugs (Our Specialty): There is nothing more appealing than walking into a room and seeing a high-quality traditional rug laid out on the floor. No matter how modern your house gets, a traditional rug has the potential to bring character, opulence and pleasure to all who see it.
- Silk (or Royal) Rugs: Hand-knotted pure silk carpets are known for softness, and fine workmanship. The number of knots per square inch defines the quality of the carpet. The Rugs Cafe specializes in luxury, one of its kind, handmade silk rugs and carpets of the finest quality to level up your home décor and interiors of the space.
- Vintage Rugs: These extremely fine rugs are made in a variety of exotic designs and have very intricate curvilinear designs. Our selection of high-quality vintage pieces was each handpicked across Turkey and Morocco.
Carpets and area rugs are quite similar in their qualities. Moreover, they are widely used together. A rug is just a smaller version of a carpet and many places have a Rug laid on a wall to wall carpet.
The intriguing colors and textures of an Area Rug is most appealing part. When you get bored with some area of your home and feel like changing the way it looks, just get a rug or change the existing one with a new one, you're all set! A rug changes the whole look of the room without buying any bulky furniture or some art.
An area rug is quite affordable and is a one-time investment. A Carpet, as I mentioned before, needs more care and manpower to install. While with Rugs, roll it up and move to any area, spilled something? Just follow easy cleaning instructions.
A rug looks great anywhere, be it Bedrooms, Living room, Patio, Kitchen, Nursery, Hallways. It totally depends on your specifications and the type of rug you want. But once you buy a rug and install it, they just fit! Rugs also have a long life, so if you are worried that it might wear off easily, you can bring your mind to ease.
Afterall, a rug can only add up to your place and enhance the areas in a way you can’t even imagine!